Monday, April 8, 2013

Pineapple Chicken Salad

Spring makes me want to eat chicken salad sandwiches!

My Mom used to make her chicken salad with just mayo and a little chopped celery. I liked chicken salad back then.

But I've loved chicken salad since I learned to make it this way. Bright and cheerful are not adjectives normally used in food writing, but they describe this fruity chicken salad perfectly!

Cheerful Chicken Salad

Desired amount of chopped chicken breast (I use the kind in a can)
Mayonnaise or salad dressing (I use Miracle Whip Light, Hellman's, or Duke's)
Chopped walnuts
Chopped celery 
Canned pineapple chunks
Garlic salt or other desired seasonings

1. If using canned chicken, drain completely, then use the can lid to press out as much more liquid as possible. 
2. Place chicken in a bowl and stir in enough of your chosen dressing to moisten and bond the chicken together.
3. Stir in as much or as little chopped celery as your family likes. 
4. Stir in as many chopped walnuts as desired.
5. Drain the canned pineapple, then squeeze out as much liquid as possible with your hands. (This is important! If you don't, there will be too much liquid in your chicken salad.) Mix in the pineappple chunks.
6. Season with garic salt or other desired seasonings you wish.
7. Chill before serving.

My favorite way to eat this chicken salad is on wheat toast with a lettuce leaf, but it's also elegant and delicious served atop a fresh green salad. The restaurant where I picked up this recipe used to serve it that way, with a huge banana-nut muffin on the side! Yum.

By the way, my second favorite chicken salad, served at the first "ladies' luncheon" I ever attended, was made with Hellman's mayonnaise, chopped celery, and green grape halves! Also extremely simple, fresh and delicate.

What's in your favorite chicken salad?  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for reading! Your thoughts are important to me because I am writing for you.